Light the Night Connecticut
Transport Hartford Academy and BiCi Co. — both programs at the Center for Latino Progress — have combined forces to increase safety for those walking and biking. As long as supplies last, we provide FREE reflective bag tags and basic bicycle lights that are distributed at community events, schools, and the BiCi Co. 97 Park Street storefront. BiCi Co. also sells additional reflective gear and higher powered bike lights.
You are always welcome to make a donation to support our work, and the end goal is safer streets, especially for our most vulnerable road users that our out on foot or pedaling a bike. Many of those walking and biking in Hartford are just getting by and can’t afford safety items like lights and reflectors.
Safety Tips for Drivers and Motorists:
- Slow down. Speeds over 25 mph are very dangerous for collisions vulnerable users.
- Stay alert and don’t drive distracted. Turn off your phone. Don’t text and drive. Even with a hands free device your response times are similar to someone that is drunk.
- Don’t drive intoxicated. Really, why do we even need to say this?
- Clean your windshield, inside AND out. Many forget that the inside of their windshield and windows also need periodic cleaning. A dirty windshield significantly increases glare and really messes up your view of what’s in front of you at night.
- Remember, those out there on foot and bikes are especially vulnerable. Just respecting our fellow humans getting where they need to go can change our behavior. Recognize that they also have families, friends, and perhaps children. Give vulnerable users space and time to get home safely.